Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- David Foster's Daughters Sara and Erin 'Never Got Along' with His Ex Yolanda, Says Source
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Before Texas Mom Pulled Gun and Killed Two Daughters, Divorce-Seeking Husband Told Her, 'You Have Ruined My Last Birthday'
- Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory's 45th Anniversary: Why Gene Wilder Was Robbed of an Oscar
- 'Scotland Voted Remain, You Weapons-Grade Plum': David Tennant Reads Mean Scottish Tweets About Donald Trump
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 23, 1985
- Vol. 24
- No. 26
She's a Big Girl Now—Rich, Famous and Married-but Once Upon a Time, the Reigning Queen of All Things Pop Was Just Another Wanna Be
But there was a time when Madonna was just another Wanna Be: a girl who really was a virgin, who wore crucifix and moniker without irony, who attended church every Sunday morning in a crisply pressed dress, kneeling with her brothers and sisters, father and stepmother in a row at Sunday Mass.
Belanger describes the budding Madonna as unusually pretty, buxom and willful, but otherwise quite ordinary. The future Material Girl cruised the gravel roads of her suburban subdivision on a Schwinn. Years before she fostered a fashion revolution, Madonna spent hours poring over Seventeen and Glamour, after which she was inspired to camouflage her drab Catholic school uniform under hot pink, purple and orange sweaters. Madonna was a major Monkees fan, her fantasies centering on little Davy Jones. Today's Boy Toy enjoyed games no more risqué than Monopoly, Sorry and Clue.
Yet there is evidence that the chaste child was mother to the vampy star. For example she and Belanger once got in trouble with Carol's mom for stripping their Barbie and Ken dolls and propping them face-to-face under the covers of Barbie's bed.
Madonna started toying with real boys early on. She attended make-out parties in junior high wearing a turtle-necked bodysuit to protect her virginity. Even then, Belanger says, "she broke a lot of hearts."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!