Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Justin Timberlake Wishes His 'Bad-Ass' Wife Jessica Biel Happy Birthday with a Cute Instagram
- The Best Photos from the Week of Feb. 23- Mar. 1, 2015
- Michelle Williams on Being a Single Mom in Show Business: I'm Exhausted!
- Saved by the Bell's Tiffani Thiessen and Elizabeth Berkley Reunite Again
- Cameron Diaz: Don't Deprive Yourself of That Piece of Cake!
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 10, 1986
- Vol. 25
- No. 6
Trying to Shake Up the Japanese, Architect Shizuo Kurisaka Pitches a Post-Earthquake House
Kurisaka, 40, leans toward the whimsical. One of his celebrated whimsies is the "Completed House Under Construction," featuring permanent scaffolding on the outside and painted silhouettes of workmen on the front wall. "People who want ordinary houses," concedes Kurisaka, with some understatement, "don't come to me."
Still, his Falling White Box has a serious bias. It is designed to remind Shizuoka's 465,000 residents that the city, 90 miles southwest of Tokyo, is a likely target for Japan's next major earthquake. "The authorities say prepare and be careful," says Kurisaka, who lives in Shizuoka with his wife, Mieko, 32, daughter Tomoko, 6, and son Tatsuji, 2. "But the earthquake doesn't come, so people forget."
Some of the neighbors would prefer to forget the Falling White Box. "It does stand out," comments the owner of a nearby beauty shop in the otherwise traditional community. "Everyone who comes by is shocked." Yet Kurisaka's faith in his work is unshakable. "It may seem strange now," he admits, "but when the earthquake comes and all the other houses fall down, it will seem quite normal."
March 03, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!