Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Holland Taylor and Sarah Paulson Are Dating, Sources Confirm
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Bryan Cranston Looks Nearly Unrecognizable as Homeless Man on Set of New Film – See His Two Other Looks
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler On Their Decades-Spanning Friendship: We're 'Found' Sisters
- Kyle Richards on Yolanda Foster's Health Crisis: She's 'Just Struggling to Survive'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 10, 1986
- Vol. 25
- No. 6
The World of Alfred Eisenstaedt
Despite that mishap, Eisenstaedt, the son of a West Prussian merchant, emerged as a pioneer of the fledgling art of photojournalism. In place of the stiff, posed images that had formerly served as news pictures, Eisenstaedt, with an uncanny eye, sought a sense of immediacy and realism through candid photographs taken with available light. That approach led to a distinguished international career—he has been a photographer for LIFE since 1936 and PEOPLE since 1974—and this month Eisenstaedt is being honored with a 101-print retrospective exhibition at the National Theatre in London.
The exhibit demonstrates how Eisenstaedt, still active as a photographer at age 87, has chronicled the lives of celebrated political, literary and entertainment figures for more than half a century. The secret of his ability to deal with the pressures—and egos—is simple, says Eisenstaedt. "When I first went to Hollywood in 1938, Wilson Hicks, the picture editor of LIFE, said, 'The most important thing is not to be in awe of anyone. Remember, you are a king in your own profession.' I have never forgotten those words."
December 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!