Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Michelle Obama Embraces Her Inner Disco Queen at the WHCD
- The Style Top 5: Gigi Hadid Shares Her Beauty Don'ts, Blake Lively's Million Dollar Style Week and More
- Did Tyga Get a Tattoo for Kylie Jenner?
- Ice Dancers Charlie White and Tanith Belbin Say 'I Do'
- Watch 4-Year-Old Heaven King Do the Nae Nae with Her Own Tiny Dance Crew (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 10, 1986
- Vol. 25
- No. 6
The World of Alfred Eisenstaedt
Despite that mishap, Eisenstaedt, the son of a West Prussian merchant, emerged as a pioneer of the fledgling art of photojournalism. In place of the stiff, posed images that had formerly served as news pictures, Eisenstaedt, with an uncanny eye, sought a sense of immediacy and realism through candid photographs taken with available light. That approach led to a distinguished international career—he has been a photographer for LIFE since 1936 and PEOPLE since 1974—and this month Eisenstaedt is being honored with a 101-print retrospective exhibition at the National Theatre in London.
The exhibit demonstrates how Eisenstaedt, still active as a photographer at age 87, has chronicled the lives of celebrated political, literary and entertainment figures for more than half a century. The secret of his ability to deal with the pressures—and egos—is simple, says Eisenstaedt. "When I first went to Hollywood in 1938, Wilson Hicks, the picture editor of LIFE, said, 'The most important thing is not to be in awe of anyone. Remember, you are a king in your own profession.' I have never forgotten those words."
April 25, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!