Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Eva Longoria Takes Aim at Trump During DNC Speech: 'My Family Never Crossed a Border, the Border Crossed Us'
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- WATCH: Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Can't Help but Break Character During Hilarious Art Therapy Skit
- Kim Kardashian and Chrissy Teigen Reveal They Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Blac Chyna Source Says She and Rob are Still Together: 'They're Not Broken Up'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 17, 1986
- Vol. 25
- No. 11
Write On! Eighty-Year-Old Robert Penn Warren Is Named America's First Poet Laureate
Perhaps the nation's most distinguished man of letters, Warren has published, over the past 54 years, 10 novels, 16 volumes of poetry, a play and many critical, historical and biographical works. As the only person to win Pulitzer prizes for both fiction (All the King's Men, 1947) and poetry (Promises, 1957; Now and Then, 1979), Warren is a natural for the post. Unlike Britain's poet laureate, Warren will be paid $36,000 annually instead of a case of wine and £100 and will serve one or two years instead of a lifetime.
Born in Guthrie, Ky. in 1905, Warren graduated from Vanderbilt University and first gained fame as one of the Fugitives, a group of primarily Southern poets(John Crowe Ransom, Allen Tate) whose work stressed agrarian values. He later taught at Yale between 1950 and 1973. He and his wife, novelist and travel writer Eleanor Clark, live in a converted barn in Fairfield, Conn, and write every day in separate studios until 2:30 p.m.
Despite all his laurels, Warren has never been much concerned with prestige. What is the importance of poetry to the nation? "It isn't important," he says in his rapid Kentucky twang. "It's just poetry. A poet just writes poems. He hopes to, anyway." Typically, he's too modest. Robert Penn Warren's poetry defines, refines, exalts and exults. Next assignment, class: Check it out.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!