Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gigi Hadid Opens Up About Fighting Back After Milan Fashion Week Attack: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: Netflix Releases First Official Trailer for The Crown – and It Has Us Royally Excited for Nov. 4
- Donald Trump Won Last Night's Presidential Debate, According to Unscientific Snap Online Polls
- Naomi Watts and Liev Schrieber Split: Inside Their 11 Year Romance and its Sad Final Chapter
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 30, 1986
- Vol. 25
- No. 26
In a Genteel Era 64 Years Ago, Amos Wilder Challenged the Best on Wimbledon's Centre Court
The Wilder boys were born in Wisconsin but did most of their growing up in California. While Thornton was precocious in literary matters, Amos was always the better athlete. As a Yale senior, he was national intercollegiate doubles champion with Lee Wiley. In 1922, while reading theology at Oxford University, Amos and British partner Charles Kingsley bravely entered the Wimbledon tournament. "Kingsley and I were playing over our heads," he admits. Indeed, they were beaten in the first round (6-2, 2-6, 6-1, 9-7) by Aussies Randolph Lycett and James O. Anderson, who went on to take the title that year.
Wilder, however, has only fond memories of those days in England. "Tennis then was a kind of garden party game, more like croquet than tennis is today," he says, sitting in the library of his home in Cambridge, Mass. While he worries over the professionalization of international tennis ("I hope the big money they earn now doesn't take away the enjoyment of the game"), he is certain the mystique of Centre Court endures. "That's where it all began," he says. "That's the mecca, the holy place of tennis, and there's no such one place in any other sport."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!