Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Walking Dead Recap: Meet Deanna Monroe
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs,
Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Which Downton Characters Need to Hook Up? Joanne Froggatt Weighs In
- No One Puts Beagle in a Corner – Not Even Roombas (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 30, 1986
- Vol. 25
- No. 26
No Match for a Headstrong Polo Pony, Prince Charles Winds Up on a Real Downer
Charles, 37, a skilled four-goal player, didn't have time to ask, as his young chestnut gelding, unnerved by an eight-horse scrum, reared in the Bell's Scotch Whisky Trophy match last week at England's Windsor Great Park. The Prince slid backwards out of the saddle and was deposited bottoms-down on the field, right in front of the reserved seating stands. Whereupon half a dozen spectators immediately—and happily—turned their cameras on him and began clicking away. Propped on his arms, a disgusted Charles remained on the ground for a good 30 seconds, while an impervious Pedro bolted for the far side of the field.
The nasty tumble topped an already off day for Charles, whose side lost to a team led by Charles's polo manager, Maj. Ronald Ferguson, who also happens to be the father of Prince Andrew's intended, Sarah. "I played terribly!" lamented Charles. "I missed every shot I had."
Still, the afternoon was not a total loss. "The press got what they came for, didn't they, when I fell off?" a more composed Charles asked later. "It's all right, it has happened before." It may happen again. But what can you expect from a reining prince?
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!