Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Will Smith's Kids Are Reacting to His Suicide Squad Role: 'This Is the First Time Where I'm Cool for Real'
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- American Surfer Survives 'Vicious' Crocodile Attack in Costa Rica Thanks to Friend Who Fought It Off with His Bare Hands
- Lindsay Davenport: Why the Atlanta Olympics Were So Special to Me and My Family
- Lindsay Lohan Hints at Relationship Trouble with Russian Love Egor Tarabasov in Cryptic Social Media Posts
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 22, 1986
- Vol. 26
- No. 12
Wanna Make Dan Groobert Smile? Just Say Cheesecake
Groobert's creation sells for about $2 and packs a serious 325 calories. "It's better than sex," he says. That claim may be hard to substantiate, but Trends Cheesecake on a Stick is testing well in 1,000 yupscale gourmet groceries along the East Coast.
Groobert, 28, got his antidietetic idea five years ago, when he was an executive sous-chef in Hartford. Stricken by the munchies one evening, he started to eat a piece of cheesecake, decided it was too dry and added melted chocolate and graham cracker crumbs. Et voilà! Caloric history was made. After moving to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., Groobert got himself a partner and enough investors to put more than $1 million into his dream. In fact Groobert has spent so much money that he had to give up his apartment and move in with his mother. His mother, ironically, is a dietician, although Groobert says that never cramped his style as a kid. "I used to sleepwalk to the fridge," he says. "The food business was a natural."
Since Groobert has his cake and eats it too, he bicycles 10 to 20 miles a day. His fiancée, Tara Cannon, 29, says she has put on 12 pounds and no longer can fit into her wedding dress. Still, as Groobert is fond of observing, cheesecake will always find a way. "You can seduce people with the right food," he says. "Who needs candles and lights?"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!