Archive Page - 08/16/13 40 years, 2,168 covers and 54,870 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stephen Fishbach's Survivor Blog: How the Sole Survivor Won the Game
- Read the Cover Story: Family and Friends Remember Robin Williams
- FIRST LOOK: Boston Marathon Bombing Survivor Finds Dream Wedding Dress
- Judge Exonerates 14-Year-Old Boy Who Was Executed 70 Years Ago
- Watch the Merriest, Most Musical Christmas Prank Ever (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Thursday December 18, 2014 11:10AM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 10, 1986
- Vol. 26
- No. 19
Brace Yourselves! The Hippest Way to Wear Suspenders Is to Let Them Dangle from Your Waist
So, it seems, are the manufacturers. Leslie Cotler, a New York entrepreneur, began producing jeans and cotton pants with button-on suspenders 14 months ago and was surprised to see how kids let them dangle. This year he expects to sell more than five million pairs (at $30 each) and is instructing the models in his ads and fashion shows to wear their suspenders both up and down. Cotler's success has inspired other jeans companies: This month Lee introduces a line of men's stonewashed denims with suspenders.
The look does have some strings attached. "Your friends grab onto them, sometimes," says Mark Rogers, 20, of Queens, N.Y., "or if a sharp object passes you by, you might catch on it. That could be fatal." Still, trendsetters aren't about to let a little thing like the possibility of death stand in the way of a hot look. Besides, there's a pragmatic side to the unlikely style. "When you have nothing to do with your hands," explains Rogers, "you can always play with your suspenders.' "
December 18, 2014
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!