Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith Reunite To Watch Daughter Dakota Host Saturday Night Live
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- Little Girl with Tumor Has One Final Wish – to Dance with Taylor Swift
- Sofia Vergara Sees You Staring at Joe Manganiello – and She Loves It
- William Shatner Can't Attend Leonard Nimoy's Funeral: 'I Feel Really Awful'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 24, 1986
- Vol. 26
- No. 21
Getting the Jump on Adults at 13, Wes Pyburn Guns for Racing's Top
The son of a chemical engineer and a housewife, Wes enrolled at 11 in a special racing instruction program for kids. Then he practiced under his father's supervision for three months at a local track. In his first race in May 1985, Wes, 12, finished last. The following November he won his first heat—and acceptance from his colleagues, who formed a double row, applauding and cheering as he returned to the pit.
So far, Wes's only injury has been a bruised left leg, which he banged against a roll cage—this despite numerous spinouts, one head-on collision, a brush with a wall that removed the Pinto's entire right front end and a catapult up and over a Capri that had spun out in front of him. ("That was fun," says Wes.) "He's smooth," says grizzled vet Bruce Maynard, 41, who is second in Wes's division. "He stays out of trouble. He's a natural." Keeping the Pinto in racing trim has cost the Pyburns nearly $20,000, which is about $19,000 more than Wes has won—this is not a high-paying game—but the burden is about to ease. A conglomerate of businessmen has just been formed to sponsor him.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!