Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- RHOC's New Housewife Meghan King Edmonds: 'I Regretted My Boob Job'
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Watch Natalie Portman and Matthew McConaughey Play Our Word Association Game from Cannes
- Guess Whose Funky Mustache? The Answer May Surprise and Horrify You
- Meet the Texas Teen Who Says He Saw Jesus When He Was Dead for 20 Minutes
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 09, 1987
- Vol. 27
- No. 10
Gaddafi Plays Desert Phantom—Staying Under Wraps After That American Death Plot
The aim, as it happened, was not so precise. Half of the mission's 18 F-111s experienced problems with their laser missile-guidance systems; the only Gaddafi killed in the attack was the colonel's 15-month-old adopted daughter, Hana. As a result, Gaddafi, 45, was left with the wits to gather the press for a rigorously composed photo op with Hana's teddy bear (right). According to Hersh, whose reporting seems to be accurate, Gaddafi escaped with his life by only a hairbreadth this time (the latest of a dozen such attempts in as many years); some two hours before the strike, Israeli intelligence had spotted him working in the family tent. One U.S. general who spoke to Hersh concluded bitterly: "He must have been in the head."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!