Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Keshia Knight Pulliam Says 'Hardest Part' of Ed Hartwell Divorce Drama Is Impact on Her Stepson: 'He Deserves to Be a Big Brother'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Brie Larson Thanks Fans for 'Tidal Wave of Support' After Captain Marvel Casting, Admits She Feared a Backlash
- WATCH: Nathan Sykes Wows Fans at the PEOPLE Now Concert Series
- Keshia Knight Pulliam Claims Ex Ed Hartwell Is the One Who Cheated
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 16, 1987
- Vol. 27
- No. 11
Lynne Lorenzen, 18, Wins the Big One Handily with 6,497 Points
Teams like the Lady Vikes don't often make national records but Lynne has been well prepped for her feat. Everyone in her family (she has three older brothers and two older sisters) is at least 6' and all have been hoopsters. More important, her dad, Russ, a hog farmer, and mother, Frances, who played on an Iowa championship team in 1952, have taught her that "nothing will ever be all positive," and they have been right. As record mania set in, fans and newspeople began scribbling down Lynne's every point and going crazy. Other folks have called her a ball hog. All in all, she admits, breaking the record "jumped in front of my main goal, which is to just have fun playing basketball." Then, with the record in hand, she went on to pump in 71 of the Lady Vikes' 83 points in the regional play-off game to qualify for the Iowa state championships this week.
Her next problem will be picking a college from a raft of those offering scholarships. "Basketball is paving a future for me," she says, which is one reason she sets strict priorities during the season. "It's just like the dictionary: basketball, books," says Lynne, smiling, "and then boys."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!