Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Ozzy Osbourne's Ex-Mistress Michelle Pugh and His Daughter Kelly Reach Settlement
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Jessica Biel Eats in the Shower and Thinks You Should Too
- Why You Shouldn't Panic About This Year's 'Clown Panic'
- DWTS's Wild New Theme: Find Out Which Stars Are Channeling the Beatles and Who's Paying Homage to Michael Jackson
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 11, 1987
- Vol. 27
- No. 19
Picks and Pans Main: Screen
If you're in the mood for a cartoonish shoot-'em-up, with touches of Mission Impossible and The Wild Bunch, you could do worse than this film. It's a variation on those '30s films with James Cagney and Pat O'Brien as boyhood friends now on opposite sides of the law. Nick Nolte, a Texas Ranger in a border town, has grown up so pure-hearted he wears his white hat even when sitting behind his desk. Powers Boothe, a drug dealer operating out of Mexico, is so mean he crushes scorpions in his bare hand for fun. A third side in this triangle of violence is provided by a high-tech government commando unit. They're going after Boothe by robbing a bank in Nolte's town where the drug money is laundered. When director Walter (48 HRS.) Hill sticks with gunplay, he keeps the momentum going. The dialogue is another matter. The ramrod-straight Nolte has to say such things as "He's polluting this town with drugs and turning it into a sewer." Maria Conchita (Moscow on the Hudson) Alonso, as a cantina singer in love with both Nolte and Boothe, actually mutters "crazy gringo" at Nolte. Boothe acts his way out of a lot of lost lines. He even generates a smile when, just before the big gun battle, he says to Nolte, "Let's get this over with. It's almost 4 o'clock." Hill draws blood only in the literal sense of gory violence. There is no issue here. But for a movie that isn't really about anything, Extreme Prejudice keeps the screen occupied reasonably well. (R)
Look in vain here for the humor and heart Diane Keaton brought to her role in Annie Hall. In her dilettantish debut as a director, Keaton is hell-bent on getting the poop on paradise from a randomly chosen group of Los Angeles citizens. She started her 100 or so video chat sessions in 1984, asking such questions as: "Are you afraid to die?" "What is heaven?" and "Is there sex in heaven?" Though many of the interviewees address her by name on camera, Keaton is never seen or heard. Her contribution was to splice these interviews with campy old movie and TV clips and music that sounds like a hereafter hit parade (My Blue Heaven, Over the Rainbow, etc.). For all the dazzle, the film emerges as pure prattle, alternately exploitative or patronizing. The wacko comments run the gamut. One person defines heaven as a place where there will be "wonderful bodies." Another compares reaching the pearly gates to winning an Oscar. A recent poll by USA Weekend re ported 67 percent of Americans believe in hell. If they sit through this maddening film, the other 33 percent are bound to come around. (PG-13)
- Peter Travers,
- Ralph Novak.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!