Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mary J. Blige: Sam Smith Is 'My Little Brother'
- Read the Cover Story: Jill and Derick Dillard Share Their Baby Boy's Dramatic Arrival
- Royally Awesome Spares, Sequels & Seconds That Are as Good as the Original
- William Shatner Planning to Write a Book About His Friendship with Leonard Nimoy
- Sofia Vergara Responds to Ex-Fiancé's Frozen Embryos Claims
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 15, 1987
- Vol. 27
- No. 24
For Kate Smith, Death Alone Isn't Grounds for Burial
There's a chorus of disagreement on that point. Many of Smith's friends who've seen the design call the 11-foot-high, rose-granite structure a garish monstrosity. "It's disgusting," says Father Robert Lamitie, pastor of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Lake Placid, N.Y., where the mausoleum is supposed to be built. "Kathryn wouldn't want something you could walk into." The church prefers a smaller structure, an idea the executors term unworthy.
Money may be part of the problem, since an undetermined portion of Smith's $500,000 estate is earmarked for St. Agnes. Executors say the church would like to keep the $90,000 for itself. Smith's friends accuse the executors of trying to construct the mausoleum to keep the money out of church hands. Meanwhile the singer's body remains in a cold-storage vault in Lake Placid. Since redesigning a new structure could take six months, by which time the ground will be too cold to break, another year will probably pass before Kate Smith is finally laid to rest.
April 16, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!