Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chelsea Handler Defends Playboy Op-Ed About Having Two Abortions After Receiving Criticism Over Tone of Article
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Blac Chyna Displays Growing Bump in Form-Fitting Baby Blue Dress
- Kylie Jenner's Latest Snaps (Pretty Much) Confirm She and Tyga Have Rekindled Their Romance
- Husband and Daughters Beg For Their Lives in Chilling 911 Calls Placed Moments Before Texas Mom Opened Fire
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 22, 1987
- Vol. 27
- No. 25
Here's a New Way to Fame: Just Paint Yourself into a Big Corner
A trifling goal perhaps, but at least she's making an effort to live up to historian Daniel J. Boorstin's definition of a celebrity: a person known for his well-knownness. Angelyne's torridly tacky mural is part of a six-year master plan that she and her manager initiated in 1981 simply to make her well-known. She started as a poster girl for a band, graduated to her own billboards in 1981 (one can be seen in Moonlighting's opening credits) and has now reached the crowning achievement of her non-career—the $22,000 painting that has car brakes screeching at the nearby intersection of Hollywood and Vine. "She's more than a personality, she's an institution," hyperbolizes her manager, Hugo Maisnik, 60, an advertising executive who underwrites Angelyne's escapades and maintains a "strictly business" relationship with her. "She can get people to do anything. She could end wars. Or start them."
Though no one has called the United Nations, and her résumé notwithstanding, Angelyne insists the master plan is working. "I can feel myself getting more and more famous every day."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!