Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 'I'm Forever Grateful': Carrie Underwood on the 10-Year Anniversary of Her American Idol Win
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- FROM EW: Why Those Two Iconic Game of Thrones Characters Just Met
- 13 Weirdly Incredible Hot Dog Toppings for the Most Delicious Memorial Day Ever
- You'll Never Guess What Karlie Kloss Keeps in Her Clutch (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 06, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 1
Laurie Mallet's Walls May Not Have Ears, but They Do Have Chairs, Tables, Boots and An Overcoat
"We all walked in and fell in love with the place," says SITE president James Wines, 54. "It had something haunting about it." The designers decided to evoke that mystery, as well as play off Mallet's French background in a storytelling process they call "narrative architecture." Using tools as fine as dental scapels, they imbedded clothing, furniture and artifacts into the walls of the house. A pair of ghostly white riding boots emerges from the plastered wall in the front hallway; a Greek statue disappears seamlessly into a stucco wall in the garden; a 19th-century French clock, permanently frozen in time at eight minutes to five, sits partially embedded above the living-room mantelpiece.
Mallet and her children, Clementine, 7, and Arthur, 3, are delighted with their home-cum-work of art. Says Clementine: "This is a really, really, really neat house." Her mother's approach is slightly more philosophical. "Where do you think that door leads?" says Mallet, eyeing a doorway that melts into a wall on the second-floor landing. "I think it leads to nice dreams."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!