Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- What Did Michelle Obama Think of American Sniper?
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Val Kilmer Updates Fans on His Condition: 'Please Don't Worry'
- What Super Bowl Quarterback Is Katy Perry Rooting for?
- See the Best Celeb Food Photos of the Week from Kendall, Reese & More
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday January 31, 2015 12:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 06, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 1
Laurie Mallet's Walls May Not Have Ears, but They Do Have Chairs, Tables, Boots and An Overcoat
"We all walked in and fell in love with the place," says SITE president James Wines, 54. "It had something haunting about it." The designers decided to evoke that mystery, as well as play off Mallet's French background in a storytelling process they call "narrative architecture." Using tools as fine as dental scapels, they imbedded clothing, furniture and artifacts into the walls of the house. A pair of ghostly white riding boots emerges from the plastered wall in the front hallway; a Greek statue disappears seamlessly into a stucco wall in the garden; a 19th-century French clock, permanently frozen in time at eight minutes to five, sits partially embedded above the living-room mantelpiece.
Mallet and her children, Clementine, 7, and Arthur, 3, are delighted with their home-cum-work of art. Says Clementine: "This is a really, really, really neat house." Her mother's approach is slightly more philosophical. "Where do you think that door leads?" says Mallet, eyeing a doorway that melts into a wall on the second-floor landing. "I think it leads to nice dreams."
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!