Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Former Law & Order Director Sentenced to 10 Years Probation for Child Pornography Charges
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Hillary Clinton Takes Giant Selfie with Digital Content Creators at Town Hall Discussion: 'We Have to Send This to Ellen!'
- John Mayer Says He's 'Ready' to Find His Next Girlfriend: 'I'm More Mature Than I've Ever Been'
- Former American Idol Contestant John Stevens Hit By Van in Massachusetts
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 13, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 2
Andre Van Pier's Bras of Gold and Crystal Inspire a Boom at the Top
Van Pier, 27, has just unveiled his "Diamond Collection" of ultrasexy dress bras that are made to be seen. The shimmering, multihued designs are made from hand-cut crystals that are backed with nickel plate—"to help bring out the glitter," he says—and priced from $1,250 to $2,500. For those even more financially endowed, Van Pier makes a line of gold, silver and platinum bras that retail from $1,650 to $2,750. (The metals are ground into dust, melted, woven into raw-silk backing and cooled to form thread.) Celebs seem delighted to have his support. Knots Landing vixen Donna Mills bought a silver halter model for $1,400. And Joan Collins and supermodel Carol Alt each bought the $1,400 strapless crystal version.
Van Pier, the son of an airline pilot and a housewife, grew up near San Francisco and later studied design in Paris. In 1980, he moved to New York and rang up his first sale, a collection of sweaters to Saks Fifth Avenue for $10,000. Now clients such as Liza Minnelli, Sophia Loren, Christie Brinkley and David Bowie troop to his midtown studio, where he presides over his $1.5 million business. There they can view his collections, including a made-to-order couture line with 24-karat gold designs priced as high as $45,000.
Though he is accustomed to exotic tastes, and to those who will pay small fortunes to satisfy them, Van Pier is surprised by the success of the bra line. "To be honest, I never expected women to buy the gold collection," he says. "Thank God for the rich."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!