Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Sharon Osbourne Taking One-Month Break from The Talk After Collapsing
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- Robert De Niro Gives Blunt, Funny, Inspiring Commencement Speech to Acting School Grads
- Chris Pratt Apologizes in Advance for Potential 'JurassicGate' and Misbehaving on Press Tour
- Kris Jenner Tries to Embarrass Daughters Kourtney and Kim Kardashian with a Throwback Pic of Their Model Poses
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 16, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 20
Simian Star of a New Toy Line, Michael Jackson's Pet, Bubbles, Plays Second Banana to No One
The singer's chimp is his constant companion, and the face of Jackson's new toy line
Okay, maybe the fans would have preferred Michael Jackson. But his pet chimp, Bubbles, is nobody's monkey's uncle. Rescued by the singer from a cancer research lab in Texas two years ago, Bubbles, 3½, is probably Jackson's closest (sorry, Liz) companion. The chimp divides his time between the Sylmar, Calif., ranch of his trainer, Bob Dunn, and the Encino spread of his owner, where Bubbles and Michael often stay up until 1 a.m. "singing and dancing," according to Dunn. When Jackson toured Japan recently, Bubbles tagged along, serving as his understudy for promo appearances.
Bubbles' fame may soon exceed that of Spuds MacKenzie. He's spearheading Michael's Pets, a line of stuffed animals based on his master's menagerie. The toy versions of Bubbles, Muscles the snake, Louie the llama, Jabbar the giraffe and others, priced at $25, went on sale last week.
His owner's eccentricities aren't rubbing off on Bubbles. True, the chimp's taste in clothes tends toward the flamboyant—haberdasher Rick Pallack, whose clients include Ted Kennedy and Bruce Willis, is designing a suit for him—but Bubbles hasn't yet bid on any ape-man's bones. Nevertheless a certain narcissism is creeping into his style. "Whenever Bubbles sees himself in a magazine," says Dunn, "he'll pick it up and kiss it."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!