Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Donald Trump Confirms Trip to Mexico to Meet with President Enrique Peña Nieto
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Inside Gene Wilder's Final Days and Private Health Battle
- T-Pain Thanks Fans for Support Following Fatal Stabbing of His Niece
- Miranda Kerr on Orlando Bloom's Nude Paddleboarding Photos: 'What Were You Thinking?'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 30, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 22
Alan Klimpke's Career as a Singer Is Running Hot and Cold
As emcee Bert Parks led the applause, Klimpke walked off (barefoot) with the $2,000 grand prize.
The judges' decision drew heated remarks from the runner-up, Mary Beswick, 27. The Seattle singer was wandering around backstage afterward, imploring, "Get me a job, that's all I ask!" to any straggler who would listen. "I don't want to sound sour," she confided, "but I'm very disappointed. I was hoping to be discovered."
So was the winner—and still is. "My dream is to get a TV role," Klimpke says from his Denver home, where he croons to fiancée Vanda Weuve, 27. "Maybe this will help me. If not, I'll just keep singing in the shower. The $2,000 will pay for a lot of water bills."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!