Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Bill Clinton Looked Like a Kid Again Playing with the Balloons at the DNC Last Night
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- 'I Thought I'd Never Be a Mom': A YouTube Star Suffered a Miscarriage and a Stillbirth Before Motherhood
- Chandra Levy: Five Things to Know About the Murdered D.C. Intern
- #ImWithHerNow: Are Sanders Supporters Becoming Clinton Converts Now That She's Accepted the Nomination?
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 30, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 22
He's Unknown Now, but the World's Top Underwater Artist Is Waiting for His Reputation to Surface
A former draftsman and installer of prefab kitchens, Jamy felt the first wave of creativity in 1983. "He'd been diving for 25 years," says his wife, Hilde, 45, "when he suddenly had a vision that he should be painting underwater." Getting right down to work, Jamy strapped 30 pounds of lead to his wet suit—to keep himself anchored to his atelier—and began using a weighted easel, synthetic canvas and, natch, oil-based paint. Since colors are difficult to tell apart in ocean water, Jamy keeps his spectrum straight by giving each paint jar a numeral and memorizing the code. In other words, he paints by numbers. "It obviously requires much more craftsmanship than painting out of water," says Hilde. "I think he's the master of the genre."
Indisputably. But that doesn't mean he's successful. Jamy sells enough paintings (priced from $85 to $1,500) to keep his head above water, but he doesn't exactly have collectors flocking to his home in Hyères, France. Still, he believes his stock will rise in the future, and he has no intention of abandoning his métier. "The sea is our womb," says Jamy, "and I am anxious to share it." Thanks to him, it's a womb with a view.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!