Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Stranded Boaters Rescued from Uninhabited South Pacific Island After Writing 'SOS' in Sand
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Britney Spears Says Carpool Karaoke was 'a Little Awkward' as She Calls James Corden a 'Teddy Bear'
- NBA Star Dwyane Wade's Cousin Killed in Chicago Crossfire: 'Another Act of Senseless Gun Violence'
- Donald Trump's Doctor Admits He Wrote GOP Nominee's Health Report in Just 5 Minutes
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 14, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 24
The Revenger Offers Drivers a Shot at Life in the Blast Lane
So far, the Revenger has blown off a lot of steam; since shipping began on Nov. 2,70,000 have gone out to retailers' shelves. That's relieved a lot of tension for David McMahan, 29, and Mike Grubbs, 30, who were fairly frustrated novelty peddlers until coming up with this gizmo. "We'll sell more of these in two months than anything else we've sold in two years," says McMahan, creative force behind Express Yourself, Inc., based in Charlotte, N.C. The two friends (Grubbs is the business brain) from the University of North Carolina say they expect to gross more than $10 million by the end of 1988. Bullock's department store in Los Angeles originally ordered 528 Revengers, then called a week later for 2,000 more ASAP. Not all of them went on sale. Bullock's executives use their Revengers to censure and heckle each other during weekly meetings. With Macy's, Bloomingdale's and Art Explosion among the other stores hawking the Revenger, tradespeople are calling it the hottest new Christmas item since Santa Claus started stuffing stockings.
Resembling an upscale radar detector, the gadget retails for up to $24.95—which might seem a bit much for a palm-sized piece of plastic that costs less than $10 to manufacture. But, hey, it's a fair price to pay for playing Rambo without guilt.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!