Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Kris Jenner Is 'Trying to Be a Good Friend' to Bruce, Kathie Lee Gifford Says
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 20- Apr. 26, 2015
- Kim Richards: I Drank '2 Inches' of Liquor the Night of My Arrest
- Officers Reportedly Injured as Violence in Baltimore Continues After Funeral for Freddie Gray
- John Legend: 'We Need to Rethink Our Criminal Justice System'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 21, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 25
Harry Chapin Is Gone, but Friends Carry His Song in Their Hearts
Throughout the evening Harry Chapin's music—"Taxi," "Circle," "Cat's in the Cradle"—was interspersed with anecdotes of the man. Kenny Rogers recalled handing over $1 million for Chapin's World Hunger foundation, thinking that would buy him a little gratitude—and a little peace. "It's only a drop in the bucket," said Chapin, urging him to do more. "There was no saying no to Chapin," says Rogers. "No meant maybe, and maybe meant yes." Pat Benatar, whom Chapin discovered in a Long Island nightclub, gave an emotional rendition of "Shooting Star." "Harry always told me, 'Ya gotta rough it up a little,' " she said. "Well, Harry, I hope you're listening, because I think I finally got it."
Capitol Hill finally got it, too, voting this year to award Chapin the Congressional Gold Medal for his efforts to raise money and awareness to combat world hunger. Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont presented the award to Harry's widow, Sandy, who helps to make sure Harry's charities—and his message—survive and prosper. It seems to be working. Paul Simon, when asked why he had come, answered, "I'm doing a concert Sunday at Madison Square Garden, and I didn't want to feel like I don't have time for anybody else." One for me. One for the other guy. One for all.
April 27, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!