Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Anne Heche: I Channeled Indiana Jones for Dig
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Man Can't Sue Applebee's for Burning Face on His Fajitas While Praying, Panel Rules
- Hillary Clinton Tweets as Troubles Mount: Let Them See My Email
- Mom and Daughter Give Birth on the Same Day, in the Same Hospital, 34 Minutes Apart
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 21, 1987
- Vol. 28
- No. 25
Move Over, Felix and Oscar, Move Way Over—These Two Are a Really Heavy-Duty Odd Couple
"The two play like children," says the head keeper of the elephant house, Herb Kingsbury. "When Gretchen is lying down, Cleo will lick her around the ears and bite her ears playfully. They go in the pool together. They live in their own little world."
It's a world that Cleo, an export from the Toronto Zoo, entered with trepidation last year. One look at Gretchen's imposing trunk and Cleo was all set to pack hers. Instead, she dove to the bottom of the enclosure's pool. Now the two get along swimmingly even though Gretchen outweighs Cleo by 6,300 pounds, give or take a snack.
Cincinnati's experiment began nearly 10 years ago when Gretchen's keepers saw her reaching over a large iron barrier and playing with a hippo neighbor named Maudie. Eventually Gretchen and Maudie became roomies. Their friendship ended with Maudie's death in 1985, but the bereft Gretchen has found solace with Cleo. Says Kingsbury, who knows a peculiar twain when he sees one, "It's like they grew up together."
March 05, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!