Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Johnny Depp Steps Out with His Kids in L.A.: He 'Really Missed' Them, Says Source
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- WATCH: With Which Famous Actor Did RHONY's Countess LuAnn de Lesseps Share a Kiss?
- Tight Top, Mom Jeans: 30 Years of the Supermodel Uniform Remaining the Same
- Lo Bosworth on Her Glam Beauty Look on The Hills: 'We Did All of Our Own Makeup Ourselves'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 11, 1988
- Vol. 29
- No. 1
Joseph Charles, Long May He Wave, Spreads Joy in Berkeley
Charles, 77, a retired Navy supply yard warehouse worker and widower, has been making waves in Berkeley ever since. Every morning from 7:45 to 9:30, rain or shine, he dons one of his 20 pairs of yellow gloves and waves to commuters from the busy street corner outside his home. Leaning and turning in every direction to make contact with as many people as possible, Charles shouts an endless stream of salutations in a deep and resonant voice: "Have a good day...Keep smiling...Hello, beautiful..." More often than not, passers-by smile and wave back. "One morning," says Cedric Bones, a local, "I got up and felt like punching somebody in the face. Then I drove by Mr. Charles. He was waving and yelling, 'Have a nice day.' I did."
Last Oct. 6, Charles's 25th anniversary of waving, Berkeley Mayor Lonni Hancock joined him on the street corner and borrowed a glove to help spread some morning cheer. Charles is "a real institution in Berkeley," says Hancock. Even when he was sick for a few days this summer, Charles waved through his living room window. "I go to bed thinking about my wavers, and I wake up thinking about them," Charles says. "And as long as the Good Lord allows, I'll keep waving."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!