Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Hometown Hero! Aly Raisman Celebrates Her Return to the U.S. with 'Aly Raisman Day'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- John Legend on Daddy Duties and Helping Make the World a Better Place for Daughter Luna
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Party in New York City Ahead of Her VMA Performance
- WATCH: Bachelor in Paradise Star Caila Quinn Dishes on Ashley I. Drama
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- March 07, 1988
- Vol. 29
- No. 9
Mark Schilder Paints An Oral History of Hollywood
To start with, Schilder rounded up a bunch of home addresses with the help of show business friends. Then he mailed out his requests, thoughtfully enclosing replacement brushes. Some celebs bristled, among them Robert Redford, Steven Spielberg, Alan Alda ("There are some things I just have to keep to myself") and Nancy Reagan, whose secretary declined "in light of the many similar requests she receives each week." But more than 60 notables, including Michael J. Fox, Farrah Fawcett and Bob Hope, responded favorably. Now Schilder is putting the finishing touches on a toothsome, 400-square-foot mural covering one wall of his Hollywood studio.
Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp; Schilder still awaits brushes from Marlene Dietrich and Prince. "Then we're done," says the artist. He claims he's already rejected a $150,000 offer for the work—because he wants more. Hey, this is mass market stuff. "Toothbrushes are an obvious thing that everyone shares," he says. "I mean, we all brush our teeth."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!