Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Play War Photographer in Upcoming Steven Spielberg-Directed Biopic
- The Best Photos from the Week of Feb. 23- Mar. 1, 2015
- Los Angeles Police Say Homeless Man Grabbed Officer's Gun Before He Was Shot Dead
- How James Franco Ruined Sara Foster's Date on Barely Famous (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: What Creepy Gift Did Aubrey Plaza Give Aziz Ansari as a Parks & Rec Parting Gift?
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- June 06, 1988
- Vol. 29
- No. 22
Pigheadedly Painting His Mural, Hog Heaven, for 20 Years Has Made Arno Jordan a Master of Swine Art
A mural painter since 1960, Jordan did much of his early work on nightclub walls. His subject: topless dancers. He switched to pigskin in 1968, after Hog Heaven's original artist, Les Grimes, fell to his death from a scaffold. Since then Jordan has carried on the dangerous tradition, adding new scenes and retouching others as they fade in the sun. To paint the blue sky and fluffy clouds on one wall, he hangs over a roof ledge 50 feet up while a helper holds him by the ankles. Who says this isn't high art?
It is fast art, however. To save time, Jordan uses rollers for the clouds, and he can knock off a decent pig by hand in 10 minutes. Yet attention to quality—like getting just the right pigment—isn't sacrificed. "If you don't mix your colors," says Jordan, "it cheapens the whole thing."
Of course, covering a packing house with pigs (722 of 'em, by plant security guard Al Bragg's latest count) can get to be a grind. Fortunately, Jordan rarely takes his work home with him. After his five-hour day, he drives back to his home in Rialto and looks forward to a good meal. "I do love roast pork," says the artist, "but at my age, I try to stay away from too much fat."
March 03, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!