- Johnny Depp Could Face Up to 10 Years in Prison for Bringing Dogs into Australia
- Read the Cover Story – Tess Holliday: The World's First Size 22 Supermodel!
- At 67, Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Excited to Swing Swords as Conan the Barbarian Once More
- FROM SI: Chicago Bears Release Ray McDonald Following Domestic Violence Arrest
- Pictures from Marilyn Monroe's Final Photoshoot to Be Auctioned in London
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
- July 04, 1988
- Vol. 30
- No. 1
Danny Kramer, 3, Becomes the New Chairman of the (skate) Board
Actually, he's 3 going on formidable. According to Vision Sports of Costa Mesa, Calif., the 40-inch, 40-pound Danny is the youngest skateboard phenom in America to be sponsored by an equipment manufacturer—and perhaps the youngest sponsored athlete in any sport. His next-oldest colleague on the company's demo team is 14. "His teammates are in awe like everybody else," says Vision Sports's marketing director Brad Fanshaw, whose camera crew discovered Danny while he was waiting—in full "thrasher" regalia—to see a skateboarding exhibition last March. "Can he skate?" asked the cameraman. Could Shirley Temple hoof? Could Margaret O'Brien cry on cue? "That night," says Fanshaw, "the cameraman came in raving and showed his tape of Danny. He was remarkable."
Living in Lawndale, Calif., with his mom, dad David, 38 (a financial analyst for Hughes Aircraft), and brother Tommy, 6, Danny got bitten by the bug while tagging after his cousin Jeffrey, 14, an avid skateboarder. As a joke, Jeff gave Danny a tot-size skateboard last Christmas, and "he took to it like a duck to water," recalls Donna.
This summer, Vision Sports will keep Danny busy warming up crowds at skateboard exhibitions. In exchange the company will give him a new board and a stylish outfit. Well, make that most of an outfit. "We're custom-cutting him a pair of shorts," says Fanshaw. "Up to now, we haven't needed any his size."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!