Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Django Unchained Actress Daniele Watts Will Apologize to LAPD for Accusing Them of Racism
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 27- May 3, 2015
- How Do Vanessa and Nick Lachey Find Alone Time?
- Kerry Washington & Nnamdi Asomugha Make Rare Red Carpet Appearance Together – Two Years After Secret Wedding (PHOTO)
- If You Illegally Park in a Handicap Spot in Moscow, You Might Get a Scary Message (VIDEO)
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 22, 1988
- Vol. 30
- No. 8
Cybill, Dolly and 500 Other Friends Throw a Surprise 50th Birthday for Kenny Rogers
It wasn't until Marianne greeted the man of the hour with a hearty "Happy birthday!" that Rogers spotted individual faces in the throng, including those of Cybill Shepherd, Linda Gray, Bruce Boxleitner, Michelle Lee, Henry Mancini, Olivia Newton-John, Roger Miller, Sherry Lansing, the Rev. Robert Schuller and Phyllis George and her husband, former Kentucky Governor John Y. Brown.
The group adjourned to a converted tennis court at the club for a three-hour soiree that featured a dinner of grilled chicken breasts and live performances by Kim Carnes, Sheena Easton and Dolly Parton. Dolly had flown in from Natchitoches, La., where she's filming Steel Magnolias, and she had a little trouble catching her breath after singing "9 to 5." "Big as my lungs are," said Parton, "you'd think I wouldn't run out of breath."
The entire event left Rogers gasping. "I have just died, and my whole life has passed in front of me in one fell swoop," said the guest of honor.
For different reasons, ex-Governor Brown was also astounded. "I thought this was your 60th birthday, you've been around so long." he told Rogers.
But it was Linda Gray who made the most pertinent remark, considering that the birthday boy had just finished playing 18 holes of golf. "When," she asked, "is he going to take a shower?"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!