Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Rainforest Charity Pushes for Leonardo DiCaprio to Return Donations Linked to Malaysian Corruption Controversy
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Clinton Campaign Official on Anthony Weiner Scandal: It's 'Ridiculous' to Call Huma Abedin a Liability: 'That's Not Who Hillary Clinton Is'
- Inside Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin's Tumultuous Marriage: 5 Things We Learned About the Pair from Weiner Documentary
- FROM MOTTO: My Terminally Ill Friend Killed Herself – This Is Our Last Conversation
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 22, 1988
- Vol. 30
- No. 8
Cybill, Dolly and 500 Other Friends Throw a Surprise 50th Birthday for Kenny Rogers
It wasn't until Marianne greeted the man of the hour with a hearty "Happy birthday!" that Rogers spotted individual faces in the throng, including those of Cybill Shepherd, Linda Gray, Bruce Boxleitner, Michelle Lee, Henry Mancini, Olivia Newton-John, Roger Miller, Sherry Lansing, the Rev. Robert Schuller and Phyllis George and her husband, former Kentucky Governor John Y. Brown.
The group adjourned to a converted tennis court at the club for a three-hour soiree that featured a dinner of grilled chicken breasts and live performances by Kim Carnes, Sheena Easton and Dolly Parton. Dolly had flown in from Natchitoches, La., where she's filming Steel Magnolias, and she had a little trouble catching her breath after singing "9 to 5." "Big as my lungs are," said Parton, "you'd think I wouldn't run out of breath."
The entire event left Rogers gasping. "I have just died, and my whole life has passed in front of me in one fell swoop," said the guest of honor.
For different reasons, ex-Governor Brown was also astounded. "I thought this was your 60th birthday, you've been around so long." he told Rogers.
But it was Linda Gray who made the most pertinent remark, considering that the birthday boy had just finished playing 18 holes of golf. "When," she asked, "is he going to take a shower?"
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!