Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- 3 Dead, 9 Injured in Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood Shooting; Suspect Identified and in Custody
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Left with a Thanksgiving Mess? Let These Hollywood Hotties Clean Up for You
- VIDEO: Watch Heavyweight Champ Wladimir Klitschko's Pre-Fight Serenade to 'Wind Beneath My Wings'
- Selena Gomez on the Difficulties of Dating: 'I Would Love to Date Older Guys' But 'I Look 16'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 19, 1988
- Vol. 30
- No. 12
What's Under a Gentleman's Kilt? His Royal Shyness Prince Harry Turns to His Dad for An Answer
The littler prince at first sat watching dutifully while Charles flogged the water. But, like any child his age, Harry soon grew squirmy and wriggled his way down the bank. Dad kept on casting, so Harry launched a rear-guard assault in hopes of catching his attention. After giving Charles's tartan kilt a couple of tentative tugs, a suddenly bold Harry lifted the hem and peered intently at the royal backside.
The Prince of Wales was not amused. "Charles looked so embarrassed," an estate worker later said. "He turned round, pulled the kilt down and gave his son an earful." After reclaiming his dignity, Charles went back to fishing, and Harry, now somewhat subdued, played quietly by himself. At teatime, their creel still empty, the two hiked hand-in-hand back to the castle.
The British press went wild over Harry's uncharacteristic high jinks. Quoth the Daily Express: "It wasn't long before the heir presumptive became very presumptive. And the heir apparent became rather more apparent than he had been." Indeed, the kilt incident provided the public with a rare glimpse of the more rambunctious side of Harry, who was once so shy that he couldn't bring himself to speak to his nursery-school teachers. The No. 3 in line for the British throne probably didn't pick up many fishing tips on this journey down to the riverside. And if he learned anything about what an Englishman wears under his kilt, he isn't saying.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!