Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler On Their Decades-Spanning Friendship: We're 'Found' Sisters
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Kyle Richards on Yolanda Foster's Health Crisis: She's 'Just Struggling to Survive'
- Sarah Palin Opens Up About Her 'Toughest Year' Yet – Including Her Cancer Scare and Getting 'Canned' by Fox News
- Nude and Shoe'd! Joan Smalls, Gigi Hadid and Lily Aldridge Go Naked in New Stuart Weitzman Campaign
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 03, 1988
- Vol. 30
- No. 14
No Neanderthal, Pebbles Is Now a Yabba-Dabba-Do Pop Success
Life may hold nothing but precious stones for her now, but Pebbles—born Perri Arlette McKissack in San Francisco—has spent some memorable time on the rocks. Her divorced mother raised four children alone, working as a waitress and housekeeper. "We were poor," says the singer. "I think that's why I was so motivated." At 16, she landed a production deal with a local musician, but within months her career was derailed by pregnancy. She married her daughter Ashley's father, a musician, but it was a less-than-perfect match (she refuses now even to give his name). After a year, she says, "I told him to forget it."
Finding work in an Oakland, Calif., real estate office, Pebbles met contractor George L. Smith, who in 1985 put up $80,000 to bankroll her second assault on the music world. The result was a demo tape and the video for "Mercedes Boy"—a shimmering single about an autoerotic female driver—and a contract with MCA. Pebbles and Smith, who is 20 years her senior, married soon after.
The two live outside San Francisco with Ashley, now 5, and Smith's daughter from a previous marriage, Jennifer, 16. Life isn't all familial bliss and exotic baubles though—Pebbles still has to look out for Pebbles. "I'm very sensitive when it comes to my work." When shown a "terrible" video for "Girlfriend," her second hit single, she re-edited another version herself. She also plans to call all the shots on her next LP. "I'm not going to let someone else make or break my career," she says. "If I'm in control and things don't happen, at least I was in control."
December 01, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!