Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chrissy Teigen's Daughter Meets with 'Auntie' Kim Kardashian – and Even Gets Kanye to Smile
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Tracy Anderson Says Jennifer Lopez's Kids Love to Crash Mom's Workouts: 'Max Is so Full of Energy'
- Popping Bottles! Justin Bieber Helps Celebrate Lewis Hamilton's Grand Prix Win by Taking a Giant Swig
- Gunman Among at Least 2 Dead in Texas Shooting That Left 6 Injured: 'They Were Shooting Randomly, Just at Whoever'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 05, 1988
- Vol. 30
- No. 23
Elton John Won't Go Breaking Estranged Wife Renate's Heart—He's a 'single Man' Again, but Friendly
When announcing their divorce last month, Renate claimed that she and Elton were parting amicably "and genuinely intend to remain best of friends." Word is, they were never much more. According to the London tabloids, the marriage was never consummated, the couple had his-and-her bedrooms in John's $7,000,000 mansion in Old Windsor, and Elton, 41, met other men and women in high-priced hotel suites. Renate, 34, began spending more time recording and managing the career of protégée and close friend, singer Sylvia Griffin, 32. The union was rife with rifts and reconciliations. In March 1987 Renate blew off Elton's 40th-birthday bash (Fergie and Andy did not) but earlier this year climbed a ladder to his bedroom window when unflattering sexual profiles in the press drove him into seclusion. In March 1988 they played the happy couple at a $44,000 birthday party Elton tossed for Renate but have rarely been seen together since.
Renate's divorce settlement is rumored to be as much as $45,000,000. Elton has already bought her a $600,000 cottage in Surrey, and friends report she'll lay no claims on his fleet of Bentleys. Elton, currently recording in Denmark, is relieved not to have had the heir he once wanted. "I don't really think you will ever see an Elton Johnette running around," he told a London paper. Too bad. Would have been nice to hear him sing "Your Song."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!