Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chandra Levy's Father Distraught After Charges Dropped Against Man He Believes Is Killer: 'We Just Want Closure'
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Terminally Ill 8-Year-Old Boy Becomes Honorary Marine: 'He's Taught Me Love,' Says Dad
- Remember When Neville Longbottom Got Hot? See Matthew Lewis' Big Transformation Ahead of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Blake Shelton Surprises Fans with Free Concert in Kansas City: 'It's Just a Big Party,' Says the Singer
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- July 17, 1995
- Vol. 44
- No. 3
The Singer Has Lived Clean Since '77, but Still Ties One on in Branson
Which is not to say he hasn't moved on. In 1977, after a string of effervescent pop hits ("Candida," "Knock Three Times," "Gypsy Rose") with his backup singers Dawn, the chunky-heeled crooner announced he was quitting music, a move he now says he made under the influence—or rather the lack thereof. "I quit caffeine, nicotine and cocaine cold turkey," says Orlando. "I thought I was manic depressive, but it was withdrawal and stress."
Four months later he was back, without Dawn (Telma Hopkins now stars in ABC's Family Matters; Joyce Vincent Wilson sings backup for Smokey Robinson). There would be no more hits, but TV movies, Broadway (he starred in Barnum in 1981) and solo performing, he insists, have made him happier than his glory days did. "I'm on top of my game now," says Orlando, who lives in a condo by a lake with his second wife, Frannie Amormino, 38, their daughter Jenny Rose, 3, and his son Jon, 24, from his first marriage. And if you want proof that he has really changed, get this: "Johnny Carson once did a joke about me committing suicide by jumping off my platform shoes," Orlando says. "Back then, I thought, 'These shoes are cool!' Now I think, 'Oh, my God, I wore that stuff?' "
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!