Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Chrissy Teigen Shows off Her Envy-Inducing Three-Week Post-Baby Body
- Read the Cover Story: Prince Harry: Finding My Purpose
- Boston Traffic Reporter Announces Gender Change: 'This Isn't the Body That I'm Supposed to Have'
- FROM TIME: Britney Spears Pens Letter to Sons Jayden and Preston: 'I Pray You Find Your Dreams'
- Mrs. Doubtfire Child Star Mara Wilson Remembers Her Most Embarrassing Moment with Robin Williams: 'I Felt Humiliated'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 18, 1995
- Vol. 44
- No. 12
The Hit Film Shines a Spotlight on Young Hollywood's Style
Women's Wear Daily calls Clueless the fashion movie of the year—and it majorly, fully earned the title. Costume designer Mona May studied European style big-time to come up with the 60 totally dope outfits that she created for star Alicia Silverstone. "The European thing is, have your own style," says May, "and when the next trend comes, update without giving in." In the movie, Silverstone specializes in makeovers. As if that's her calling in real life! "I hate clothes, I hate fashion, I feel like a big frump," she has insisted. Not that she was ever a Monet cute from afar, a mess close up), but during filming, "Alicia acquired some knowledge and taste," says May.
That's a serious accomplishment in young Hollywood, where everyone seems to squander their hottie potential by wearing the wrong clothes—duh! But that could be the point. "Nobody in their 40s is going to wear baggy pants, because they don't get it," says Clueless director Amy Heckerling. "You're not supposed to get it. It's not for you."
The movie, explains May, "is about being yourself. Why not be daring? Why not wear white pumps after Labor Day?" Tscha! There's a limit. How can young stars be such plods, overwhelming us with a sense of ickiness? Says May: "I think they all need my help."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!