Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,173 covers and 55,054 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- What Did Michelle Obama Think of American Sniper?
- The Style Top 5: Sarah Jessica Parker Brings Her Shoe Line to Zappos, Katy Perry Preps for the Super Bowl and More
- Val Kilmer Updates Fans on His Condition: 'Please Don't Worry'
- What Super Bowl Quarterback Is Katy Perry Rooting for?
- See the Best Celeb Food Photos of the Week from Kendall, Reese & More
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Saturday January 31, 2015 12:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 30, 1995
- Vol. 44
- No. 18
With Help from His Friends, Cabinet Installer Chuck Kaparich Builds a Dream—Carving a Carousel by Hand
Indeed, Kaparich's creation—thought to be the country's first hand-carved merry-go-round since 1932—is Missoula's new mane attraction. Since its inaugural spin in May in Caras Park, close to 100,000 visitors have ponied up the 50-cent fare to revel in its ups and downs. "I rode a bucking horse," says Gladys Pancake, 72. "It was the biggest thrill I've had in years."
A Butte, Mont., native who can still recall his first carousel ride at age 4, Kaparich was inspired in 1990 after seeing a 1909 merry-go-round in Spokane, Wash., built by American carver Charles Looff. "Until then, I didn't realize that true carousels had wooden horses," Kaparich says. "I was blown away." With the support of wife Beth, 52, a schoolteacher, Kaparich and his crew spent between 400 and 1,000 hours carving each of the 38 basswood horses and two chariots. "Everyone took so much pride in this," he says. "If I had hired people, it wouldn't be as nice." Now a local hero, Kaparich insists the notoriety was never his intent. "If I provide 3 minutes of happiness on a wooden pony," he says, "that's enough for me."
January 31, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!