Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- J.K. Rowling's Look for the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child Premiere Is Pure Magic
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Gotcha! Jaden Smith Tricked His Family into Flying Out to England So He Could Drink on His 18th Birthday
- Blac Chyna Shows Off Her Baby Bump in Body-Con Velvet Dress After Breakup Rumors
- Father of Fallen Muslim Soldier Who Shook the DNC with Emotional Speech Says His 'Conscience Compels' Him to Fight Against Trump
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 11, 1995
- Vol. 44
- No. 24
Red Hot in Blue
In the Funky Smoke-Shop Hit Blue in the Face, Mel Gorham Takes the Tobacco Road to Success
More like a force of nature. "It's like Hurricane Mel," says Billy Baldwin, her costar in Curdled, a thriller due next fall. Gorham, who at 36 has two marriages behind her (the first, at 17, to hairdresser Steve Berman, and the second, at 21, to Ralph Gorham, who founded and owns Bison Motorcycles), inherited her nonstop exuberance from her parents, now divorced, whom she describes as "Lucy and Desi—in reverse." Her father, Sandy Schnier, 67, a retired journalist, has spent a lifetime in amateur theater. Her mother, Cuban-born Emma Netsch, 60, is a retired manicurist and sometime nightclub singer. The two got together when Schnier visited pre-Castro Havana in 1956. They settled in Coral Gables, Fla., where Gorham, an only child, grew up and got into acting. She majored in drama at the University of Miami and after graduating in 1981, headed to Manhattan and the stage.
Getting a breakthrough role took time. Gorham had parts in 32 shows, mostly off-Broadway, before landing a role in Blue's 1995 prequel, Smoke. Now, besides Curdled, NBC has signed Gorham to star in a sitcom next fall as, yes, her own wacky "Cuban-Jewish" self. "Hopefully," she says, "I'll become America's next sweetheart."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!