Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Lea Michele Shares TBT Photos With Her Surprising 'Hero': 'It Was One of the Greatest Moments of My Life'
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- 'I'm Gonna Check My S--- at the Door': Gwyneth Paltrow on How She and Chris Martin Made 'Conscious Uncoupling' Work
- Is the Bob Over? Kate Hudson, Kaley Cuoco and More Stars Going from Short to Long Hair
- Alone Winner Alan Kay Shares His Wilderness Survival Tips: Ask 'What's Going to Kill Me First, and What's Going to Kill Me Next?'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 11, 1995
- Vol. 44
- No. 24
Rudolf Nureyev's Treasures Raise Millions at a Jetés-Set Auction
By the mid-'70s, Nureyev, who defected from the Soviet Union in 1961, was being paid the then-remarkable fee of up to $10,000 a performance, enabling him to live as dazzlingly as he danced. In addition to his Paris apartment, he had homes in Italy, Monaco, the Caribbean, Virginia and New York City. (The contents of his Manhattan apartment were sold at a hugely successful auction last January.) His estate was said to be worth up to $40 million. But it was the things he collected—costumes, textiles, fine art, antique furniture and silver jewelry—that most revealed him. "You had a sense of this enormous person who had put this together," says Christie's director David
Llewellyn. "Of all the places I have ever had to do an evaluation after death, this one gave me the strongest feeling that its owner would be walking in at any moment."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!