Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Rosie O'Donnell Files for Divorce from Michelle Rounds
- The Style Top 5: Cara Delevingne Gets Handsy With Her BFFs, Kim Kardashian's Unique Way of Thanking Her Fans and More
- This Talented Teen's Song About Inner Beauty Will Lift Your Mood
- Slender Man Suspect on Stabbing Friend: 'It Felt Weird'
- Anonymous Stranger Buys Wedding Dress for Cash-Strapped Bride-to-Be
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- August 15, 1994
- Vol. 42
- No. 7
An Inflatable Doll Turns Out to Be a Real Scream for Robert Fishbone
Fishbone, 43, whose St. Louis-based On the Wall Productions has sold 100,000 of the inflatables in the last three years, mainly through catalogs and museum shops, thinks the dolls are perfect emblems of our angst-ridden times. "A lot of people have a certain level of panic in their lives," he says.
Fishbone and his wife and partner, Sarah Linquist, 42, weren't always into Munchie-see, Munchie-do. They are actually serious muralists. In 1991 they created a series of cutout displays based on famous paintings—including Munch's. "Everyone said, 'That's great,' " says the New Jersey-born Fishbone, who uses only his surname professionally.
Soon, he says, "the idea of an inflatable just popped into my head." The initial run of 12,000 dolls was a hit—and sales soared when the actual Munch painting was stolen for three months earlier this year. "We've done somewhere between $1 million and $1½ million gross in a little over 2½ years," says Fishbone, whose other offerings include the Mona Lisa, a Pin the Ear on Van Gogh party game and a Little Happy Guy inflatable, an antidote to the Scream. "Moneywise, we do much better than we could do painting murals."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!