Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Naomi Watts and Liev Schrieber Split: Inside Their 11 Year Romance and its Sad Final Chapter
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Debate Karma: Donald Trump Mocked on Twitter for Excessive Water Drinking
- Houston Metro Officer Resigns After Video of Him Beating a Man Surfaces
- Naomi Watts Smiles on Set in NYC Amid Split from Liev Schreiber
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 05, 1994
- Vol. 42
- No. 23
Like a Version
Terumi Matthews Does a TV Turn as Madonna
Matthews's desperate measure was prompted by desperate times. Growing up in Santa Monica she always wanted to act, and was encouraged by her engineer father, James (who died last year of lung cancer), and her mother, Kazuko, a Japanese-born ceramic artist. (Loosely translated, Terumi is Japanese for "shining beauty.") For 10 years, Matthews worked as a waitress while getting bit roles in Off-Off-Broadway plays and TV series like Loving and Knot's Landing. "This year I considered quitting," she says. "I was having such a hard time."
Toughing it out paid off in her performance. "Like Madonna, she's tenacious," says May. She also bears a resemblance to Ms. Ciccone, but the similarities end there. Matthews has a steady boyfriend, and, she says, "I'm not much of a dancer." As for singing, she lip-synchs to a Madonna sound-alike. But now, at least, she's getting a shot at feature film parts. "This role has already helped me get auditions," Matthews says. "It's changed my life."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!