Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH AND SHOP: Never Hear 'You Look Tired' Again – Thanks to This Beauty Product
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Zoë Saldana Says Grandparents and Nannies Are a Huge Help in Raising Twin Sons: We 'Have a Great Village'
- Hillary Clinton Has a Hot Nephew and the Internet Can't Get Over It
- Georgia Woman Allegedly Researched People Who Kill Their Families – Then Shot Daughter-in-Law: Police
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 17, 1995
- Vol. 43
- No. 15
Good as Gold
Costumer Lizzy Gardiner's Oscar Dress Has Paid Off—with Interest and Job Offers
Such attention is a novelty to Gardiner, who recently swapped her apartment in Sydney for a modest Hollywood rental. "I'm brought down to earth every time I put my hands in my pocket and see I've only got $135," she says.
Growing up in Dubbo (mom runs a motel there; dad is a property developer in Sri Lanka), Gardiner always had style. Among her favorite childhood outfits was a black plastic snakeskin ensemble. "I loved it," she admits. "It was hideous." After a stint at design school in Italy, Gardiner returned to Australia in 1987 and designed for TV and film. A pal, director Stephan Elliott, hired her for Priscilla in 1993, and with a $12,000 budget she and Chappel turned out a host of other outlandish creations.
Next month, Gardiner starts work on the Dino DeLaurentiis thriller Bound, starring Jennifer Tilly. She's also negotiating with American Express, which gave her the gold cards—all invalid—for the Oscars and now wants to buy the dress for an undisclosed amount. She's amenable, especially since American Express wants to keep the gleaming garment on display. "It would be horrible," she says, "if it disappeared into a vault."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!