Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- How Prince William and Princess Kate Are Softening the Royal Family's Stiff-Upper Lip by Showing Their Emotions
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- WATCH AND SHOP: Never Have a Bad Hair Day Again with This Celeb-Loved Curling Iron
- Sara Rue's Toddler Talulah Already Has Great One-Liners: 'She's Able to Laugh at Herself'
- Jenna Dewan Tatum Admits to Being a Closet Hog: 'Poor Chan, He Has One Little Row and I Have the Rest of It!'
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- September 13, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 11
Bad Girl Does Good
Alison Arngrim—Nasty Nellie on Little House—Campaigns Against AIDS
AIDS education has become Arngrim's life mission ever since her close friend and Little House costar, Steve Tracy—who played her husband, Percival Dalton—died of the disease in 1986 at 34. Alison, who has seldom acted since leaving Little House, volunteers with AIDS Project Los Angeles and Tuesday's Child, a pediatric AIDS organization, and assists four HIV-positive "godchildren." She also tours the country giving safe-sex talks in schools, churches and prisons. "Some of my biggest fans are in prison," says Arngrim.
Arngrim was born into show business; both her manager father Thor and mother Norma MacMillan are actors. The day after Little House debuted in 1974, one of her classmates at Bancroft Junior High in Hollywood yelled playfully, "You bitch!" "I took a bow," says Alison, then 12. "I was doomed."
In her new guise, maybe destined. The soon-to-be-divorced Arngrim is even dating a comrade from the AIDS front, Robert Schoonover, 44, the former head of the Southern California AIDS Hotline. And while she's eager to return to acting, the rewards of her current job are as clear to her as Plum Creek. "Nellie got to come home and help fight AIDS," she says. "Percival would be proud."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!