Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- WATCH: Todrick Hall Joins the RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Judges Table
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- California Cop Arrested and Alligator Seized in Months-Long 'Gang of Thrones' Operation: Police
- Larry and Shawn King Were 'Living in Separate Bedrooms for a While' Prior to Alleged Affair: Source
- From INSTANT: WATCH: These Teacup Puppies Will Melt Your Heart
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 25, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 17
FASHION CREDO: Something old, something new
WON'T EVER WEAR: Panty hose
Most people who buy their wardrobes at thrift shops manage only to look, well, thrifty. But Mayim Bialik, 17, the star of the TV hit Blossom, turns out first-class in her secondhand outfits. She is admittedly closer to Annie Hall (wearing men's pajama tops and demure pleated skirts) than the halls of Chanel. Yet the easy, off-the-wall look of the 5'3" Harvard-bound actress (she's deferred for at least a year) is aped by droves of young Mayim mavens. Shunning the mall—and the trademark hats of her Blossom character—she scopes out vintage pieces near her L.A. home. That way, she says, "you don't look like you just walked out of a catalog."
Bialik's favorite resource, though, is the closet of her father, Barry, a middle-school English teacher. "I like men's fashions a lot," she says. That includes Dad's big jackets and '60s tie-dyes; and she eagerly accepts her 21-year-old brother Isaac's hand-me-down trousers. One thing you won't see her in: that staple of teen wardrobes, tight jeans. Explains Mayim: "I don't like to suck in my tummy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!