Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Truth Behind Lauren Conrad's Famous Mascara Tears from The Hills
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- WATCH: Missy Franklin on Her Beauty Routine After the Pool: 'I Have No Idea How My Hair Stays So Healthy!'
- WATCH AND SHOP: This Bag Is Actually Three Bags in One
- All the Details on Laguna Beach Alum Alex Murrel Johnson's Beach-Themed Nursery for Son Levi
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 25, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 17
FASHION CREDO: Something old, something new
WON'T EVER WEAR: Panty hose
Most people who buy their wardrobes at thrift shops manage only to look, well, thrifty. But Mayim Bialik, 17, the star of the TV hit Blossom, turns out first-class in her secondhand outfits. She is admittedly closer to Annie Hall (wearing men's pajama tops and demure pleated skirts) than the halls of Chanel. Yet the easy, off-the-wall look of the 5'3" Harvard-bound actress (she's deferred for at least a year) is aped by droves of young Mayim mavens. Shunning the mall—and the trademark hats of her Blossom character—she scopes out vintage pieces near her L.A. home. That way, she says, "you don't look like you just walked out of a catalog."
Bialik's favorite resource, though, is the closet of her father, Barry, a middle-school English teacher. "I like men's fashions a lot," she says. That includes Dad's big jackets and '60s tie-dyes; and she eagerly accepts her 21-year-old brother Isaac's hand-me-down trousers. One thing you won't see her in: that staple of teen wardrobes, tight jeans. Explains Mayim: "I don't like to suck in my tummy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!