Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Bachelorette Contestant Draws Criticism for Joking on Twitter About Being Gay
- The Style Top 5: Taylor Swift Goes Wedding Dress Shopping (For Her BFF),
Celebs' Share Their Makeup-Free Selfies and More
- FROM EW: George R.R. Martin Won't Write Game of Thrones Season 6 Episode to Focus on Book
- Bruce Jenner to Pose for Cover of Vanity Fair, Sources Say
- How Residents in the Duggars' Town Are Reacting to Josh's Molestation Scandal: 'People Are Super Embarassed'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 25, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 17
FASHION CREDO: Something old, something new
WON'T EVER WEAR: Panty hose
Most people who buy their wardrobes at thrift shops manage only to look, well, thrifty. But Mayim Bialik, 17, the star of the TV hit Blossom, turns out first-class in her secondhand outfits. She is admittedly closer to Annie Hall (wearing men's pajama tops and demure pleated skirts) than the halls of Chanel. Yet the easy, off-the-wall look of the 5'3" Harvard-bound actress (she's deferred for at least a year) is aped by droves of young Mayim mavens. Shunning the mall—and the trademark hats of her Blossom character—she scopes out vintage pieces near her L.A. home. That way, she says, "you don't look like you just walked out of a catalog."
Bialik's favorite resource, though, is the closet of her father, Barry, a middle-school English teacher. "I like men's fashions a lot," she says. That includes Dad's big jackets and '60s tie-dyes; and she eagerly accepts her 21-year-old brother Isaac's hand-me-down trousers. One thing you won't see her in: that staple of teen wardrobes, tight jeans. Explains Mayim: "I don't like to suck in my tummy."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!