Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Mila Kunis Displays Her Baby Bump at Bad Moms Premiere
- Read the Cover Story: JFK Jr.: The John We Loved
- Khloé Kardashian Reveals She 'Hated' Doing Celebrity Apprentice, Says Donald Trump 'Would Not Make a Good President'
- Meryl Streep Gives Powerful Speech as Hillary Clinton Trumps Donald in Convention Star Power
- Ellen Pompeo Reveals Her Age Was the Reason She Stayed on Grey's Anatomy: 'I Knew My Clock Was Ticking in Hollywood'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- October 25, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 17
As She Jaunts About Solo, Di's Hemlines Have Shot Up. Is It a Jab at Charles or a Matter of Style?
But why the change now, when fashion decrees that the really chic hems hug the ankle? Perhaps she's sending a message to her estranged hubby—"Take that, you turkey!"—a message that suggests a kind of in-your-face sexuality designed to drive the old boy mad. "It's a sign she's asserting herself and proving she's a single girl," says British fashion watcher Ann Chubb, author of Royal Fashion and Beauty Secrets.
Still, yearning to prove herself as a career do-gooder, a role in which more conservative hemlines are the norm, Di is in somewhat of a bind. "It is possible to look glamorous and be a serious person (think Audrey Hepburn)," says Lisa Armstrong, associate editor of British Vogue. "But in this country, you tend to be one or the other."
What seems clear is that Diana, now 32, gives much less thought than she used to about what royal rulemakers think. Once a walking mannequin for British fashion, she scooped up more than $50,000 worth of Chanel goodies on a trip to Paris last spring. And when the Queen declined in June to let the Princess accompany her to Royal Ascot, the social event of the season, Di upstaged her mother-in-law earlier that week by appearing at the Order of the Garter service in a shocking-pink suit with a thigh-high hem. Whatever it takes, the media-savvy Princess won't be nudged aside easily. Trumpeted the British newspaper Daily Express of Di's new strategy: "She just hitched her skirt up an inch or two and flashed a lovely smile. You might as well try to sideline a Warrior tank."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!