Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,277 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Friendly Neighbors & Family Vacations: How Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin Are Staying Close Post-Divorce
- The Best Photos from the Week of Apr. 13- Apr. 19, 2015
- Is Kim Kardashian Really Driving the Sales of Butt Implants?
- VIDEO: 19 Kids and Counting Sneak Peek: Jessa and Ben Seewald Visit the Eiffel Tower on Their Honeymoon
- Max Maisel, Son of ESPN Writer, Found Dead in Lake Ontario
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- November 15, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 20
Picks and Pans Review: Jazzmatazz
In Jazzmatazz's artistic-statement-ahead intro, rapper Guru declares, "This is an experimental fusion of jazz and hip-hop," adding with professional seriousness that hip-hop, like jazz, is a "cultural expression based on reality."
No matter what Guru's intent, you can't deny Jazzmatazz's groove. He hooks up with musicians Branford Marsalis, Courtney Pine, Roy Ayers, Donald Byrd and singers N'dea Davenport (who steals the show on the sassy "Trust Me") and Carleen Anderson. The result is more acid jazz (a hybrid of rap, funk and jazz) than traditional jazz and not half as experimental as Guru would like you to think, but the excursion has its fluid, funky moments. Among them: "Transit Ride," a subway travelogue that's sure to upset New York City officials, and "Le Bien, Le Mal," a showcase for the U.S. debut of Parisian star MC Solaar. A French-speaking rapper throwing down over American pop/jazz tracks says more about hip-hop's importance than any of Guru's well-intentioned preaching. (Chrysalis)
- Billy Altman,
- Amy Linden,
- Michael Small.
April 21, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!