Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Indecent Exposure Charges Dropped Against Arizona Teen Who Flashed Football Yearbook Photo
- Read the Cover Story: Prince Harry: Finding My Purpose
- Why We're Fighting for Our Son Lost at Sea: 'This Is a Message from Our Son, Screaming to Us That He Wants Us to Know What Happened'
- Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet Opens Up About Mother Jamey Surviving Cancer: 'The Key Is Hope'
- Watch Janet Jackson's New Music Video for 'Dammn Baby' Following Pregnancy Reports
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- December 13, 1993
- Vol. 40
- No. 24
A Daredevil's Despair Ends in His Suicide
But the attention didn't bring enduring happiness. Walters and his girlfriend of 15 years, who had helped him pay for his adventure, ended their relationship. His speaking career fizzled, and he worked only sporadically as a security guard. He sought solace by reading the Bible and walking in the San Gabriel Mountains, where he worked as a volunteer for the U.S. Forest Service. "It seemed like Larry came to the mountains because he was disappointed with the way his life was going," says his friend Joyce Rios, a fellow volunteer ranger.
On Oct. 6, unable to deal with the world he had briefly delighted, Walters, 44, hiked to a favorite spot in the Angeles National Forest and ended his life with a single bullet through the heart. His mother, Hazel Dunham, did not disclose his death until Nov. 22. Although Walters did not write a suicide note, he had left a Bible with several passages marked at Dunham's house in Mission Viejo, just before his death. Among them was John 16:32: "Indeed the hour is coming...each to his own, and will leave me alone. And yet I am not alone because the Father is with me."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!