Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,178 covers and 55,102 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Scandal Recap: Fitz and Mellie Plan Her Political Future as the Show Takes on Ferguson
- Read the Cover Story: What Caused This Teenager to Murder His Parents?
- Harrison Ford Suffered 'Bad Laceration' to Scalp in Plane Crash, Says Eyewitness
- Twitter Flooded with Show of Support for Harrison Ford After Plane Crash
- Aviation Expert on Harrison Ford's Crash Landing: 'Everything He Did Was Perfect'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- April 04, 1994
- Vol. 41
- No. 12
Wet and Wild
Ricou Browning Will Always Be The Creature from the Black Lagoon
A few weeks later, horror-movie director Jack Arnold, impressed with Browning's muscular freestyle, offered him $600 a week and the role of title monster in The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Browning dived right into his new career, working for six weeks in a costume that felt, he says, "like swimming in an overcoat." After Creature became a surprise hit, he found work in two sequels, Revenge of the Creature (1955) and The Creature Walks Among Us (1956). He also found a career in undersea showbiz directing episodes of TV's Sea Hunt and Flipper (which he also helped develop), doing stunt work on the James Bond movies Thunderball and Never Say Never Again and working in a variety of waterlogged commercials.
But no matter what he did, Browning was forever known as the lovelorn amphibian who wreaks havoc on the scientists who disturb him. Since Creature invaded video stores in 1982, Browning, 64—now retired in Fort Lauderdale with second wife Fran and writing a murder mystery—has enjoyed a kind of comeback. "I gel fan mail almost every day," he says, "and lots of calls from people who say, 'We're having a party. Could you bring your rubber suit over and jump in the pool and scare everybody?' "
March 05, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!