Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,181 covers and 55,435 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Teen Thanks Taylor Swift for Saving Her Friends' Lives After Accident – with a Light-Up Bracelet from Singer's Concert
- Read the Cover Story: The Duggars' Dark Secrets
- Scripps National Spelling Bee Ends in a Tie for the Second Year in a Row
- D.C. Mansion Murders Surviving Housekeeper: 'They Saved My Life'
- The Bachelor's Chris Harrison Is 'Sorry' to Hear About Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff's Split
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 09, 1994
- Vol. 41
- No. 17
Picks and Pans Review: Getting Gotti
In this docudrama, Lorraine Bracco plays Diane Giacalone, an assistant U.S. attorney who devoted many years to bringing down New York City Mob boss John Gotti (Tony Denison). But the 1987 trial in which she prosecuted Gotti and six other defendants ended in acquittal, a verdict later clouded by charges of jury tampering.
The film labors from the opening scenes to establish that the fates of Giacalone and Gotti are intertwined, that they are two sides of a coin from the same Italian-American neighborhood.
This movie runs on alternating current. Every time the camera is on the swaggering Denison the mood is electric. He helps paint a dark portrait of New York City Mob life, where brutal men plot violence and extract tribute from the back rooms of seedy social clubs. Switch over to Bracco, with her lazy, disinterested manner, and the excitement evaporates. Casting Mercedes Ruehl in her role would have improved this film immeasurably.
The problem with Getting Gotti is that it keeps losing Gotti.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!