Star Tracks: Monday, May 16, 2016 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Gabby Douglas Gives Fans a Health Update After Removing Cyst in Her Mouth: 'Feeling Much Better Now!'
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- Dolly Parton on How She's Helped Her Gay Family Members Come Out: 'You Don't Need to Live Your Life in Darkness'
- Donald Trump Confirms Trip to Mexico to Meet with President Enrique Peña Nieto
- Inside Gene Wilder's Final Days and Private Health Battle
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 09, 1994
- Vol. 41
- No. 17
Happy Mother's Day, Mrs. O
Photographer Judy Olausen Has Turned a Lifelong Homemaker into a Surreal Mom
One day in 1990, Olausen posed Vivian down on all fours, her back supporting a kidney-shaped plate of glass, in the living room of Mom's Wayzata, Minn., home. Mother as Coffee Table, a vision of housewifely submission, launched a series of (so far) 20 pictures depicting Vivian as Doormat, Stepford Wife and Roadkill.
Olausen, married to a postmaster's assistant, stresses that the photos (which she hopes to publish as a book by next Mother's Day) satirize a stereotype, not Vivian, a widow she describes as "always loving and patient." Very patient. Though even June Cleaver might have resented rope burns from being hoisted aloft to pose as Flying Mom, Vivian doesn't mind. "I'm just Judy's model," she says, smiling. "I leave it all up to her."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!