Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Joni Mitchell 'Is Awake and In Good Spirits' After Being Rushed to Hospital
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- Gary Dahl, Inventor of the Pet Rock, Dies at 78
- Andrew Getty, Heir to Oil Fortune, Found Dead in L.A. Home
- How One Smart Mom Used Facebook to Apologize for Her Kids' Bad Behavior
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 09, 1994
- Vol. 41
- No. 17
Unbelievable? Well, it did take some work. In addition to watching style shows on CNN, the 20-year-old says, "I practiced by putting on my mother's robes and high heels and walking up and down the living room before I went to Paris." Her emergence, however, hasn't been entirely without effort. Last year a jealous Naomi Campbell reportedly had Chanel's Karl Lagerfeld ban her look-alike rival from his runway. And the American couture world hasn't been color-blind. "I have 20 magazine covers in Europe and only a few in America—Essence for one," says Banks. "But I think there's more understanding of the beauty of ethnicity now."
Living in L.A. with her mother (and manager) Carolyn London-Johnson and her stepfather, Banks—who tends not to comb her hair or wear makeup on off days—says in real life she's "just real goofy," not at all like the sexy model who slithers along the runways. "I try, at least on my answering machine," she says. "I try lowering my voice and talking sexy, but it just doesn't work."
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!