Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 41 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Dos and Don'ts of What Thanksgiving Foods are Safe for Your Dog
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- The (Super-Flattering!) It Girl Dress Every Closet Needs
- Prince Harry Reunited with African Orphan Friend at Charity Center Honoring Princess Diana: 'We Shared a Similar Feeling of Loss'
- The 10 Most Outrageous Turkey Questions the Butterball Hotline Has Ever Been Asked
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- May 09, 1994
- Vol. 41
- No. 17
Fast Lane Lois
It's a Bird...it's a Plane...no, It's Ex-Lois Lane Phyllis Coates in a New TV Role as Lois's Mom
Some things have changed, though, in the 40 years since Coates and her Superman, the late George Reeves, roamed Metropolis. "I saw Teri in this beautiful dress with her boobs pushed up and thought, 'That's Lois Lane!' " says Coates. "I had a suit up to my collarbone. I felt like a horse with a bit in its mouth."
Not that Coates ever let herself be reined in. A whiskey-voiced Texan who got her start in vaudeville in the 1940s, Coates had a sexy chemistry with Reeves in the 1951 film Superman and the Mole Men and the syndicated TV series (which ran from 1952 to 1957). She left Superman after the first 26 episodes (she was replaced by Noel Neill) to work on other television pilots, before retiring from acting in 1961 to raise her family.
A mother of three (Chris, 43, David, 35, and Laura, 30), Coates shares a small Victorian home in Monterey, Calif., with David and her dog, Lucky. She keeps busy with volunteer work (including teaching drama to high schoolers) and says she enjoys being single. "What do I want to put up with some old fart for?" she asks. "I like the fact that I can sit in bed with my dog at 3 a.m. and eat popcorn and watch movies." As for her revived acting career, she's taking each episode as it comes. "For the first time in my life, I've found out who I am," she says. "I'm taking the time to enjoy all of it."
November 23, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!