Archive Page - 08/16/13 41 years, 2,180 covers and 55,278 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- Cate Blanchett on Watching Her Three Sons Bond with Baby Edith: It's Extraordinary
- The Best Photos from the Week of Mar. 23- Mar. 29, 2015
- DWTS: Charlotte McKinney Says Her Dyslexia Made It Hard to Learn the Steps
- Ohio Woman Stabbed Boyfriend Because He Ate All the Salsa, Police Say
- Jonathan Bricklin on Ex Susan Sarandon: 'I Love Her More Than Anyone'
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- January 25, 1993
- Vol. 39
- No. 3
Dial M for Movie
Sharon Kissack's Phone Reviews Spell Out the Scenes Behind the PGs
The idea for Reel Review was suggested by a friend confused about which movies to allow her 14-year-old to see. Kissack, herself the mother of Zach, 21, a college student, and Erika, 24, an aspiring actress, believes the MPAA ratings aren't adequate because they don't explain why a movie has been rated, say, PG-13 as opposed to PG or R. "Some people are bothered much less by sex than violence," she says. People with phobias might not want to see a movie with scenes shot at high altitudes or in cramped spaces. A lot of first-daters, meanwhile, simply want to avoid embarrassing cinematic steaminess.
Every Friday morning, Kissack drives to nearby Rochester, N.Y., and goes from theater to theater viewing new films. Saturdays, she records her reviews in the optometry office of Barry, her husband of 28 years. Despite the healthy response from word-of-mouth and local publicity, Reel Review, says Kissack, has yet to turn a profit. But she has discovered one unexpected payoff: horror films. "I found I like a lot of those movies," she says. "They're disgusting and gory, but since I used to dissect cats when I was in college, gory doesn't bother me."
March 30, 2015
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!