Bill Rancic Defends His Wife Giuliana After Fashion Police Controversy: 'I Tried to Get Them to Release the Footage' 42 years, 2,191 covers and 55,436 stories from PEOPLE magazine's history for you to enjoy
- The Cutest Backup Singers! Gwyneth Paltrow Films Apple and Moses Helping Out Dad Chris Martin on Stage at Glastonbury
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- Diane Kruger Opens Up About How Meeting Longtime Love Joshua Jackson Changed Her Life
- Justin Timberlake Apologizes After Backlash over Tweet About Jesse Williams' Speech at the 2016 BET Awards
- Jennifer Hudson, Sheila E., Stevie Wonder, Janelle Monáe and More Honor Prince with Stunning BET Awards Tributes
On Newsstands Now
- Matthew McConaughey: In His Own Words
- Jessa Duggar's Wedding Album
- Brittany Maynard's Final Days
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine
People Top 5
LAST UPDATE: Tuesday February 10, 2015 01:10PM EST
PEOPLE Top 5 are the most-viewed stories on the site over the past three days, updated every 60 minutes
- February 08, 1993
- Vol. 39
- No. 5
A Message After the Bleep
Kenny Rogers's Marriage Is Not in Service at This Time
Outwardly the couple seemed to have been dealt a winning hand. He was the poor kid from a Houston housing project who had sung and acted his way to a personal fortune that ranks as one of the largest in country music. She was a bubbly country girl from Athens, Ga., who had starred for 19 years as one of Hee Haw's Honeys. Rogers, also father of two now-grown children by two of his three previous marriages, met Marianne on the show's set in 1975, and the couple wed two years later. Then last month word came from Aspen, where Marianne was vacationing, sans hubby, that a breakup was brewing.
In fact an impending split has been rumored ever since Rogers was socked last fall with lawsuits filed by three Texas women who alleged that lie had coaxed them into playing kinky phone-sex games. One of them, aspiring actress Lisa Applewhite, 27, also charged that in 1990 Rogers used the lure of a TV role to entice her to a While Plains, N.Y., hotel, where he then made sexual advances. "He's a con artist," says Applewhite, "and he's sick."
While acknowledging that he did have a private 800 number on which he recorded sexually explicit messages, Rogers insists that the women called voluntarily and that he never pressured anyone into having sex.
Whether or not the suits—no court date has yet been set—precipitated the separation, neither Rogers nor his wife has said. Last week the couple's publicist said that no divorce papers had been filed and that neither had plans to file any. Rogers, whose latest TV movie, Rio Diablo, airs Feb. 28 on CBS, is currently on tour, while Marianne is with their son on their 1,000-acre Georgia farm. For now, it's anybody's guess where the chips will finally fall.
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
The most buzzed about stars this minute!